So there we have it. I've used some tools that I found on the Internet to construct a peephole optimiser for Java bytecodes. The improvements in performance are, unfortunately, minimal at the moment. However, I'm sure that there are further optimisations that could be made and I'd like to enlist your help in finding them.
If you find any new optimisations please send details to me. I'll add them to the rules file and upload them to this web site. The details I need are:
I'd also be interested to receive suggestions for improvements to the techniques used here. For example, it would be nice to make the pattern recognition in the generic optimiser more powerful.